Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Future Priest?

I experienced something today that I have never experienced before in all of my years teaching.  This morning we were supposed to be walking our classes over to the Church for Eucharistic Adoration, but our principal came over the loud speaker to inform us that due to the bad weather outside, we would have to stay in our classrooms for prayer.
So...
I decided to make our morning a sort of 'mini' retreat.  It was the perfect time to gather the children together and talk about our faith.  (Remember as you read this that we have just started a new year.  These children don't really know me yet and I do not 'really' know them.)
I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to bring us together as a classroom community and love our Lord.
We sang and prayed.
Later in the morning I noticed one of my boys trailing me around.  By trailing I mean that if I turned around quickly... whoa... there he was.  He usually isn't quite so 'clingy'.  (If you could hear my voice, you would know that when I make that final comment, I say it with great love in my voice.)
When I would ask him if he needed anything, he would just reply, "No.  I'm fine."
He would go back to his seat and then in a moment or two... whoa... there he was behind me again.
He finally told me what he really wanted to say to me.  He pulled me aside and said quietly, "I have been thinking that God wants me to be a Priest when I grow up.  I'm not really sure because I want to be a dad, but I think He wants me to be a Priest."
It was a beautiful blessing to me.  Just to know that this child trusted me enough with expressing his heartfelt thoughts was beautiful.
After we chatted a bit, he started to walk back to his desk.  I thought that was the end of our conversation but he quickly turned around, leaned into me and whispered, "I see bright lights... I have bright lights in my heart for Jesus."
I saw his beautiful mother later in the day and shared what her son had expressed to me.  They are a strong, faith-filled family.  She had tears in her eyes.

I am so thankful.
I have not had an easy week.  It has been a week filled with the politics of the educational environment.  It has been a week full of challenges.
And then...  simple beautiful words from a ten year old boy.
I am very humbled.
Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in You!

Mary

No comments: