Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Singing for Mr. R.


Jesus, I trust in You!
I was invited to the nursing home where Mr. R. is now calling home.  The children in the preschool and fifth grades were traveling to his new home to sing Christmas carols to the residents.  The principal and I headed over early to make sure everything was set for the children and Mr. R. was ready to accept visitors.  We entered the elevator to travel to the second floor and waited for the doors to open.
We were repeating his room number so we would be able to find Mr. R's room.  230...203...230...
We didn't want to waste any time in finding him.  The children were in the bus and on the way and we wanted to be sure to check if he was ready for us.
The elevator door opened and we stepped out.
Mr. R. was sitting in a wheelchair waiting for us!  He was smiling at us!  It was a beautiful gift, indeed!

We pushed his wheelchair into a small reception area and waited for the children to arrive.  Several other residents were gathered to listen to the children's songs too.  They sang for him and he waved his arms in time to the music.  It was beautiful!

The children finished their last song and walked to the elevator doors to head back to the bus.
We pushed Mr. R. back to his room and sat to chat with him for a bit before we had to head back to school to finish our day.
He shared with us a picture of Our Blessed Mother that he had taped to his dresser mirror.  He told us the world needs Fatima.
We asked him if he enjoyed Thanksgiving and being able to travel out and see his own home again.  He replied, "I am home."
He was getting tired and we asked him if he wanted to rest.  He motioned toward his bed.  We helped him out of his wheelchair and scooped his legs up in our arms and gently laid them on his bed.  We undid his velcro shoe straps and covered him with his blankets.
He laid back, smiled, and said, "I am so blessed."

He was starting to doze off so I said, "Have a beautiful day, Mr. R."
He replied, "It already has been."

We turned to leave the small room.  He had already begun to drift off to sleep.  I turned to look back at him one more time.  As I did, I lifted my right hand and waved to him.
He looked at me and slowly raised his hand.
He waved back at me.

Mary
Jesus, I trust in You!
Here are two links to previous posts:
How I got to know Mr. R.

Mr. R. Christmas 2010



No comments: