Saturday, March 5, 2011

God's Gentleness

St. Anthony of Padua
Patron Saint of the Elderly


I was in deep thought for most of the night and for much of yesterday morning about Mr. R.  I was concerned that he fell.  I have to admit, I was concerned about a lot of things.  My mind was anxious and my only place of peace was in prayer.  
Well, let me share with you what happened yesterday morning...


I went down to the office to check my mailbox and underneath the mailboxes was a typed greeting card.  I picked it up and saw that it was from Mr. R!  I turned around and was about to ask the secretary about the card and she met my eyes with a smile and pointed to the counter on the other side of the room.  There on the counter were three white boxes tied with a ribbon around them.  They were filled with chocolates from the corner candy store across the street.  15 pounds!!
I was confused.  My first thoughts were... how did 15 pounds of chocolate get to the office and did Mr. R. carry those boxes by himself???


Well, the answer is yes, but I need to tell you what I have come to understand in the hours since yesterday morning. 
On Thursday evening, after I spoke to Mr. R. and told him we had been praying for him, he apparently continued his walk... right to the corner candy store!  He must have purchased the boxes of chocolates and walked back around the block to his home.  He woke up on Friday morning and before 8:00 a.m. walked to our school... carrying the boxes of chocolates!  
In his card he thanked us for our prayers.
He wrote, "THANK YOU     THANK YOU     THANK YOU."


I have to tell you, dear reader, that as I continue through this life of mine, I am amazed at the wonder and gentleness of our loving God.  In my anxiousness, I prayed that the angels surround Mr. R. and protect him if he ever should fall again.  I prayed for his peace and continued blessings for him.


In those boxes of chocolates are God's gifts of gentleness and peace to me.  


Mr. R. gave me the gift of peace when he delivered those 15 pounds to the school's door.  The strength and determination that it must have taken for him to walk (with a cane on icy morning sidewalks) carrying those boxes is amazing. Mr. R's day was blessed because someone was thinking about him enough to pray for him.  My day was blessed because through his gift I can see the strength, peace, and love in an 88 year old gentleman. 
And...  all of this through the love and care of the prayers of children.  


I am at peace through the gentleness and strength of our Lord.  I will admit to you, dear reader, that I still worry (just a bit) about my newly found friend.  But God has shown me that my worries are not needed.  He will take care of those who love Him.  


God's peace and blessings to you and your families,
Mary 
Jesus, I trust in You!

No comments: