Thursday, March 3, 2011

St. Anthony of Padua

      St. Anthony of Padua - Patron of the Elderly


My dear reader, I am again asking for prayers please.  This afternoon after school, I walked out the front door and saw that Mr. R. was across the street taking his daily walk.  Please take a moment and read about the very special gift that this beautiful 88 year old gentleman blessed me with this last Christmas.
Mr. R Christmas Story
I smiled and waved and got into my van.  (We were already late for our daughter's cello lessons)
As we drove away from the curb, I waved one last time and noticed that Mr. R didn't have on his glasses.  I mentioned this to my husband and he must have known from the look on my face that I was a bit concerned.  My husband turned the car around and I got out.  Mr. R. and I greeted each other with a smile and I came right out and asked, "Mr. R. did you lose your glasses?"
He smiled and said, "No."
I needed more information so I asked him why he didn't have his glasses on.
He told me that he was fearful of falling and if he fell there was a possibility that he could lose his glasses.  He must have seen the concern on my face because he quickly added,
"I don't like to walk with them on anymore, anyway."
Then he smiled at me.
I wasn't buying it.
I again pressed him for more information.   I asked him,"Have you fallen lately?"
This is what he said to me...
"Last week I got the snowblower out to clear the snow and didn't notice that it was in reverse.  I started it and it jumped backward into me and I fell backwards."
I asked him if he had anyone to help him with the snow and he said no.

My heart has been aching since I spoke with him.  I told him that the children in my class pray for him everyday and that they place his name in the prayer basket and his name is announced over the loudspeaker for the entire school to pray for him too.
He smiled and thanked me.

Please pray for Mr. R. tonight.  Pray for him to have peace, the gentleness of a smile, and someone to help him with his needs.  I will try to brainstorm tonight and try to come up with a solution for my dear Mr. R.

God's beautiful peace and blessings,
Mary
Jesus, I trust in You!

No comments: